The Red Dot Design Museum is open to the public again. Opening hours: Mondays to Sundays 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. However, special protection rules apply. For example, the wearing of a face mask is obligatory.
Please note that tickets cannot be pre-ordered by telephone. However, there are also no long waiting times at the box office.
Please note: On Monday, 10 August 2020, the museum will be closed due to an event.
Protection rules during the pandemic
We are endeavouring to minimise the risk of infection for our guests and for ourselves. Consequently, the following rules will apply to all visits:
• Groups of visitors are permitted up to 10 persons.
• We are obligated to collect the visitor's data, i.e. name, address, telephone number (Corona Protection Ordinance § 2a). This data is kept for four weeks and then deleted.
• We will ensure that there is always only a limited number of people in the museum at any given time. We ask that you be patient if this maximum number is already present.
• Visitors are asked to wear a face mask.
• At the moment, only cashless payments are possible.
• Please observe the distance markings in the foyer. Once inside the museum, please ensure that you respect the minimum distance of 1.5 metres from other visitors.
• Ordinarily we are a ‘hands-on’ museum, meaning that visitors can touch and try out our exhibits. In view of the current situation, however, we have to ask you to touch the products only while wearing disposable gloves, which you can get free of charge at the reception.
Note: Due to a construction site in front of the museum, the accessibility in front of the main entrance is currently restricted. However, there is an option for people with walking disabilities to enter the museum through the rear entrance. Please register for this in advance by telephone on: +49-201-30104-60.
Designated parking facilities for handicapped people can be found at the parking site P A2.
The Red Dot Design Museum is accessible for wheelchair user via a ramp (grade: 6 degree).
A wheelchair is available free of charge for visiting the museum. Reservation by phone: +49 201 30104–25.
All floors of the Red Dot Design Museum can be reached via lift and are accessible for wheelchair. Exception: a small area of the exhibition on the fourth floor is only accessible via stairs.
Wheelchair accessible bathrooms are available on the ground floor.
On request, the Red Dot Design Museum offers an accompanying service for visually impaired people. Pre-booking by phone 48 hours in advance: +49 201 30104–60.
Exhibits & liability
The Red Dot Design Museum would like to advise you that touching, handling and trying out most exhibits are permitted at your own risk. Please proceed with due care. The Red Dot Design Museum expressly excludes any liability for consequences resulting from your actions and behaviour, especially any injuries or damage caused.
Visitors will be held liable for the full extent of any damage caused by their behaviour to exhibits and other objects within the museum. Parents or supervisors and escorts will be held liable for any minors in their charge.
In the lobby of the museum, visitors can lock up their valuables. Please note that large bags need to be locked in. For each key, visitors need to pay a deposit of 5 euros which will be refunded when returning the key. The Red Dot Design Museum assumes no liability for lost goods.
A coat stand is available in the lobby of the museum. The Red Dot Design Museum accepts no responsibility for the loss of coats, luggage or other items.
Taking photos for private use only is allowed in the Red Dot Design Museum Essen. For publication, the museum's approval is needed.
The exhibition in the Red Dot Design Museum is monitored on CCTV.
Food and drinks
The consumption of food and drinks is not allowed in the Red Dot Design Museum Essen.
Dogs are not allowed in the Red Dot Design Museum.